WINTER SQUASH AND SAGE FLATBREAD WITH GOAT CHEESE
Whole wheat naan makes for a hearty and quick flatbread base that’s perfect for piling on goat cheese, sage, and squash– the flavors of fall. Good thing, too—because we’re in a serious relationship with these ingredients!
Creamy and smooth goat cheese is mixed with our superfood blend, Tejari Organic Pumpkin Spice, to create a autumn themed flatbread that is savory, colorful, and oh, so delicious.
Fresh flavors of distinctive sage and fresh kobucha or delicata squash create a healthy lunch or dinner recipe that is family-friendly, simple, and great for whenever you want to satisfy those winter and fall cravings.
WHAT DOES KABOCHA SQUASH TASTE LIKE?
Kabocha squash is sweeter, fluffier, and much firmer than butternut squash. You can make all kinds of recipes with kabocha squash that are sweet AND savory. Keep your eyes open at the farmers' markets for this variety of squash!
CAN YOU EAT THE SKIN OF DELICATA SQUASH?
You sure can! No need to peel this squash because the skin is tender, flavorful, and creates the perfect texture that is roasted.
Squash: Use either organic delicata or kobucha squash–the choice is up to you! We like both options. You can find both of these squashes at well-stocked grocery stores in the organic sections.
Oil: Olive oil is used for an extra robust flavor that is subtle and fitting for the sage and squash.
Salt: A sprinkle of sea salt is needed to give this flatbread recipe extra flavors.
Sage: We like to use fresh sage for this recipe because it really brings it to another level. Buy organic fresh sage if you can!
Goat Cheese: Regular unflavored goat cheese is what we use to keep things neutral and creamy to allow the other ingredients to shine, but feel free to switch things up with your favorite goat cheese varieties.
Tejari Organic Pumpkin Spice Blend: Rich with organic pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, dates, pea protein, and ashwagandha root, this superfood blend the filled with natural potassium, magnesium, and other immunity-boosting properties that are great for both the body and mind.
Naan Flatbread: Whole wheat is what we like to use for extra nutrients and well-rounded.
Hazelnuts: Organic hazelnuts are preferred and should be halved prior to starting the recipe!
How to Make This Recipe
Be sure to read the full instructions at the bottom of the page!
First, preheat the oven. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Next, cut the squash into thin-half moon slices.
Next, mix the squash slices with oil and the seasoning and roast for 20 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the goat cheese and Tejari Organic Pumpkin Spice Blend in a bowl. Set aside.
Next, heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add 10 to 12 fresh sage leaves and fry in the oil until they are crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Assemble the flatbread by brushing it with oil and spreading half of the goat cheese mixture on top. Top with roasted squash slices and the hazelnuts. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with paprika. Repeat.
Bake in the preheated oven for about five minutes.
Remove from the oven and top with crispy sage leaves and freshly cracked sea salt. Enjoy!
HOW CAN YOU TELL IF A DELICATA SQUASH IS RIPE?
A ripe delicata squash will be yellow with distinctive green lines–it will also be firm. Unripened squash will be green.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DEGLET AND MEDJOOL DATES?
Deglet dates are smaller, darker, and tend to be a bit chewier than Medjool dates. Both are great options!
WHAT DOES ASHWAGANDHA DO TO THE BODY?
Ashwagandha is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine as a tonic for the nervous system. Used as a stress-reliever and known for its ability to restore cognitive functions, ashwagandha is a supplement that can be found at health food stores and can be taken as a daily supplement.
WHERE CAN I BUY ORGANIC TEJARI BLENDS?
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 delicata or kabocha squash
- ¼ olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, plus more for finishing
- 1 bunch of fresh sage, divided
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons Tejari Organic Pumpkin Spice Blend
- 2 whole wheat naan flatbreads
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, halved
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash, dry and halve squash lengthwise then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut prepped squash into thin half-moon slices; if using delicata or kabocha there is no need to peel.
- Arrange slices on a parchment-lined sheet pan and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, paprika and a few sage leaves. Roast in the oven until soft, 20-30 minutes, flipping over half way during cooking.
- Meanwhile, mix the goat cheese and Tejari Organic Pumpkin Spice Blend in a small bowl to blend thoroughly. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add 10-12 sage leaves to the hot oil and fry until they just turn crisp, remove before the leaves turn brown. Let rest on a paper towel-lined plate.
- To assemble, take one round of flatbread and brush with olive oil. Spread half of the goat cheese mixture on top, leaving a border of crust exposed. Top with a few roasted squash slices and hazelnut halves. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Repeat with the second flatbread. Bake on a parchment-lined sheet pan in the oven until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with crispy sage leaves and a sprinkle of crunchy sea salt and serve warm.
WHY IS TEJARI ORGANIC?
Our Organic Tejari Blends are made with the cleanest and most pristine ingredients. From organic and wholesome organic pea protein powder to transparent labels you can trust, Organic Tejari Superfood Blends are carried out with the highest standards in place to offer the most genuine experiences you could ever have.
WHY IS THIS TEJARI RECIPE BETTER?
Tejari is low in sugar (it has no added sugar), it has a moderate level of protein, and it also contains fiber. You want to incorporate things like this in your diet as you want nutrient density when you're eating - things to stabilize your blood sugar and keep you full for extended periods of time, and Tejari does that.