Made in just a handful of simple steps, this easy orange olive oil cake is ready in no time for your next occasion or dessert craving. Feel good about this cake recipe as it is made without refined sugar and contains protein and additional benefits from nutrients such as red reishi and turmeric.
For this orange olive oil cake, you will need:
- Olive oil - use high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Tejari Organic Vanilla Blend - filled with plant-based pea protein and anti-inflammatory ingredients such as cinnamon and turmeric that are great for the body and mind
- Organic flour - all purpose flour is needed for this recipe, if you're using a gluten-free flour blend, make it contains xanthan gum or add it to the blend
- Organic cardamom - you will need ground cardamom which can be found at online or most markets. You can also grind your own cardamom with a spice grinder.
- Orange - you will need one navel orange for its juice and zest
- Eggs - use organic farm fresh eggs
- Organic coconut sugar - a refined sugar-free alternative. You can also try to substitute with Monkfruit sweetener, Swerve, or any other sugar-free alternatives.
- Salt - use Kosher sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Organic vanilla extract - make sure you have pure vanilla extract for pure flavors.
WHAT IS REISHI MUSHROOM GOOD FOR?
Reishi mushrooms have been used for centuries around the world particular in the Eastern regions. In addition to boosting the immune system and being filled with antioxidants, reishi mushrooms are also believed to be antibacterial, antiviral, and beneficials towards glucose regulation.
WHERE CAN I BUY ORGANIC TEJARI BLENDS?
You can find our Organic Tejari Superfood Blends here. There are so many yummy options to choose from for your next smoothie and smoothie bowl recipes.
Are you curious about which Organic Tejari Blends are good for you? Take our quiz!
WHAT IS PEA PROTEIN?
Pea protein is protein is a plant-based protein similar to soy or myco-protein. Super easy to digest, pea protein is an excellent alternative to animal-based protein powders.
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE OLIVE OIL CAKE
This palatable cake is topped with tangy orange zest for a classic spin on the old-fashioned olive oil cake. This cake is made is simple to prepare and creates a weightless dessert you will feel good about.
For the full steps, scroll down to the bottom.
- Preheat Oven: First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease the cake pan. Line the bottom of the oil of the pan with parchment paper and sprinkle with flour.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, combine Tejari Organic Vanilla Blend, flour, baking powder and soda, and ground cardamom. Set aside.
- Zest Orange: With a vegetable peeler, remove three two-inch strips of lemon zest from the naval orange. With a sharp knife, finely julienne orange strips and set aside to use as garnishes. Remove the rest of the zest and place in a bowl.
- Juice Orange: Then, cut the orange in half and juice the entire orange in a small bowl. There should be able six tablespoons of juice.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, add the eggs, coconut sugar, salt, and zest. Beat the mixture on high until thick and fluffy, five to seven minutes. Slowly stream in the olive oil.
- Add Vanilla: Next, turn the mixer to low and slowly add the orange juice and the vanilla extract.
- Fold Dry Ingredients: With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the dry three batches at a time until fully incorporated. Transfer the batter to the greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle Sugar: Sprinkle the remaining coconut sugar on top of the cake batter. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middles comes out clean.
- Cool: Finally, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let sit for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan. Garnish with remaining julienned orange peel when ready to serve.
- Do not over bake the cake or it will be very dry.
- Do not over mix the batter as it will cause the cake to to not rise well.
- You can use maple syrup as your sweetener in place of the coconut sugar.
- Serve this cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Freeze slices of the cake by transferring to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to six months.
WHAT IS OLIVE OIL CAKE?
Olive oil cake is typically a cake that is made with flour, olive oil, sugar, and a type of citrus. Some like to use lemons or limes as the citrus base in their recipes.
WHY IS THIS TEJARI RECIPE BETTER?
Tejari is low in sugar (it has no added sugar), has a moderate level of protein, and it also contains fiber. You want to incorporate things like this in your diet as you want nutrient density when you're eating: things to stabilize your blood sugar and keep you full for extended periods of time and Tejari does that.
This recipe is also better than most because it contains additional minerals and nutrients from the Tejari Organic Blend and it's easy to make.
WHY IS TEJARI ORGANIC?
Our Organic Tejari Blends are made with the cleanest and most pristine ingredients only. From organic and wholesome organic pea protein powder to transparent labels you can trust, Organic Tejari Superfood Blends are carried out with the highest standards in place to offer the most genuine experiences you could ever have.
WHEN SHOULD I SERVE THIS RECIPE?
You can serve this orange olive oil cake recipe for brunch, tea parties, luncheons, dessert, snacking, and so much more. Since it does contain protein and superfoods, you can eat this for a post workout snack or quick energy boost.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS YOU WOULD BUY ORGANIC?
If possible, we like to buy all organic items especially items like eggs, flour, oil, baking powder, etc.
IS THIS KID FRIENDLY?
Yes, this cake is certainly kid friendly. The children will love it, and this cake is the perfect addition to littles' lunchboxes.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Super Green Juice Recipe
- Coconut and Turmeric Macaroons
- Banana Walnut Bread
- Healthy Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Cocoa Muffins
- 1/4 cup Tejari Organic Vanilla Blend
- 1 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 large navel orange
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup, plus 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Use olive oil to grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of pan with parchment paper, oil parchment and flour pan, shaking out any excess flour. Place pan on top of a baking sheet in case there is any spillage.
- In a medium bowl combine Tejari Organic Vanilla Blend, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ground cardamom, then set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove three 2-inch strips of orange zest. With a sharp knife finely julienne orange strips and set aside to use as garnish. Remove the rest of orange zest and place in a small bowl. Cut orange in half and juice the whole orange into a small bowl, should have about 6 tbsp juice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, add eggs, ½ cup coconut sugar, salt, and orange zest. Beat on high until the mixture is thick and fluffy and has become a light caramel color, 5-7 minutes. With the mixer still running, slowly stream in olive oil. Turn the mixer to low and mix in orange juice and vanilla extract.
- With a rubber spatula gently fold in dry ingredients in 3 additions, until just combined. Transfer batter into greased cake pan. Evenly sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp coconut sugar over the surface of the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake has browned, 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let sit for 20 minutes before removing cake from pan. Garnish with remaining julienned orange peel when ready to serve.
Shop this organic superfood blend by clicking here for the full serving pouch or sachets (one serving).